[hpsdr] The problem with digital modes

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:32:01 PDT 2014

Good morning, all

Clyde, I can't speak for others but, when I run digital modes, I never run
"full power," and certainly not legal limit power.  With the exception of
CW which, don't forget, IS a digital mode, I think most of us try to keep
the power down to minimums.  I grant you that the big gun ops whose digital
mode of choice is CW feel no compunction whatsoever about blowing everone
off the air with an ERP of 10KW or so.....

Also, I am unclear what you mean when you say there is "no intelligence
being transmitted."  If operators are emitting a continuous carrier but no
communication is taking place, that is poor operating practice and
certainly not limited to digital ops.

To extend Bruce's humor a bit further, I'm not convinced that a bunch of
Olde Phartes one-upping each other about their prostate issues,
diverticulitis, or most recent angioplasty are transmitting a lot more
"intelligence" than one can find in an unmodulated carrier.

Bottom line:  I think that the great majority of digital ops try pretty
hard to be good neighbors on the bands.

Bill
KJ4SLP

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM, David McGaw <n1hac at dartmouth.edu> wrote:

>  Perhaps that could be the seed of a more neighborly digital mode that
> transmits characters but no continuous carrier.  In this day and age of GPS
> locked frequency references that should not be at all difficult.  The only
> need for the carrier is to lock the receiver and transmitter.
>
> 73,
>
> David N1HAC
>

> On 5/12/14 6:19 AM, Clyde Washburn wrote:

>  The primary shortcoming of digital modes is that they are spewing out
> full power, and occupying full BW, when the sender is saying or typing
> NOTHING.  The compelling advantage of SSB and CW is that they use no space,
> and cause no interference, when there is no intelligence being
> transmitted.  When there are digital modes that have at property I will get
> more excited about them.

> Clyde Washburn, K2UE
>
> k2ue at ieee.org

I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.