[hpsdr] The problem with digital modes

Nige G7CNF g7cnf.nige at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:44:48 PDT 2014

It is a pity that the OP did not educate himself before making a
sweeping generalisation.

A significant proportion of popular data modes operate with fixed
messages or macros and are not keyboard to keyboard (or tend not to be
used this way). The WSJT modes are just one example where the entire 50
second transmit cycle is used to convey inteligence of a fixed message
and there is no plain carrier nor modulated dead time. JT9 is just
15.6Hz wide and I have confirmed QSO's with VK at 10mW. How much
interference was I causing then. . .

As a long time SDR user I've seen more poorly set-up CW and SSB QRO/IMD
causing significant interference (20+ kHz) than I see data modes doing
the same - that is until contest time when all operators (SSB/CW/Data)
/seem to abandon/ good operating practices and can be equally selfish.
This is an /observation/, NOT an opinion. Oh is that a sweeping
generalisation? ;-)

Tell me, is being able to hear the station's PA/PC fans running in the
background in speech pauses, the kids playing, the XYL watching TV, the
VHF radio chatter, the chair creaking; do these things convey
intelligence that is relevent to the current contact?

73

Nige.G7CNF
interference.org.uk <http://interference.org.uk/>