[hpsdr] Filter Switching for Out of Band Band Use

Jim Gailer lists at kingstag.net
Wed May 14 12:24:29 PDT 2014

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.

I suspect that its me who is missing something!

For the Alex switching mode, if I lie to HPSDR that I have an Alex fitted,
and set the Manual option in the Alex...HPF/LPF box, I have options relating
to the use of high pass / low pass combinations and I can set filter
combinations for 160, 80, 60+40, 30+20, 17+15, 12+10 and 6+bypass. My PA3AKE
filters are one per band, so 30+20 for example will not work, I need to
select either 30 or 20 (these are band pass filters).

For the open collector outputs, these are able to control my receive filter
just fine, when the radio is operating in-band. Outside a ham band however,
the open collector outputs appear to select the appropriate combination of
Alex filters so as I tune between two bands, there is a point where the
filter combination changes automatically. With the PA3AKE filters, however,
my filter response is some 80dB down not long after I leave a band. I have
provided a pass-through board in the filter which is, for example, switched
in for 60 metres (until I get round to designing a 60m band pass filter!).
What I need to do is to switch this pass-through into circuit when I am not
tuned to a frequency in any band (e.g., 9MHz). I suppose that what I need is
for the Hermes Control setup tab to contain an additional row for 'not in
band' (for receive only!) or perhaps a check box to make the first four open
collectors off when out of band (or with GEN or WWV selected).

I think that the critical point is that the PA3AKE filters are single-band
band pass filters whereas Alex uses switched combinations of LPF and HPF.
Why am I using this filter? Well I had built the filters (and PA3AKE crystal
filters) before I was converted to HPSDR. They have a very good performance
in terms of intermod and are great when operating multiple stations near
together. The downside for me of course is that I have to use low pass
transmit filters too.

Regards

Jim G3RTD