[hpsdr] Filter Switching for Out of Band Band Use

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed May 14 17:56:56 PDT 2014

Hi Jim,

RR thanks for the clarifications.   Seems to me that there are a couple approaches you could take to realize the switching you desire:

1)  One approach is to modify the firmware (maybe in a special firmware edition for your use) so that there are 11 bits sent to the filter board instead of 6 bits for HPF and 7 bits for LPF as is currently done, such that each band has its own bit for controlling the respective filter in your unit, or alternatively and much more simply,

2) Turn one of the Open Collector outputs on (in PowerSDR) when an Rx frequency is used that is outside of any ham band.  The Open Collector Output could then be used by your filter unit to cause the all filters to be bypassed when the Open Collector Output is active.

The disadvantage of either approach is that you would need personalized firmware (and perhaps software too) in the first case or personalized software in the second case instead of using the public releases of HPSDR firmware and software, of course.  As far as practical implementation goes I would lean toward the second, personally.

73, Joe K5SO