[hpsdr] Link to video of Chris Testa's FDIM talk on SDRs

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Tue May 20 11:07:49 PDT 2014

> This is an awesome session! Just finished watching it. Given the broadband nature of the Smartphone modems, would it be practical to recode an existing on-board modem to run 23 cm using non-cellular protocols, thus turning a Smartphone into a Ham radio? Maybe that's where you were headed (I am not very focused today for another reason), but I mean this in the sense of all existing hardware, no soldering iron required.

23cm is a long way away from the cellphone bands. (The closest
available bands on a typical cellphone are the 900MHz band used
outside the Americas and the 1700MHz AWS band that T-Mobile USA uses.)
It's unlikely that the transmitters and antennas in a smartphone are
sufficiently broadband to cover it well. The 33cm ham band that we
have in the US has more potential, as it's actually one of the bands
covered by your smartphone if it has worldwide capability, but sadly
there is no allocation in that area of the spectrum outside ITU region
2 so European and Asian hams don't get to play there.

A further problem is that a lot of the radio behavior is done in
firmware on the RF chip, or the RF portion of the SoC on the phones
where all the functions are combined on one big chip. It's not under
direct control of the primary CPU, nor is there any defined way to
reprogram the RF chip so it would have to be a reverse engineering
effort.