[hpsdr] Link to video of Chris Testa's FDIM talk on SDRs

Chris Testa testac at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:22:01 PDT 2014

Mike,

I don't think we'll be able to re-use anything from the cell baseband
modems from Qualcomm or Intel.  They are all under heavy NDA, and we won't
be able to release Open Source modems built ontop of their hardware.  We
can't even get a compiler for the Hexagon DSP, which is the core building
block of Qualcomm's baseband modems.

Furthermore, their transceiver chips seem to be very specialized for cell
modes alone, which are very different from what we do on Amateur bands. Or
at least, that's as much as I can tell from the few low-res images that
have leaked onto the web about how their architectures work.

That's why I started my project.  To build a baseband modem + transceiver
that meets the power and size requirements of what's in a smartphone, but
intended for narrower-band Amateur modes, on Ham bands.  Imagine a modem
app store, where FreeDV, PSK31, etc. can be installed and updated without
any physical modification to your smart-HT.

It will definitely cost more $$$ and man hours to develop the platform, but
an Open Source stack means we can do things that a smartphone could never
dream of doing.  I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Chris