[hpsdr] Hermes 5v SMPS toast?

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Sun Nov 16 00:54:27 PST 2014

Hi Vasiliy.

If you do not see any burned components on the SMPSU, it may be the LT3680
that is defective. As you see, it is very small so to replace it you must
have some experience with SMD soldering but it is not impossible. To
desolder the chip,the best way is to use a 75-100W soldering iron and heat
 from the bottom of the PCB until the solder melts.

Before you start to desolder the chip, please try to measure if 12V is
present on the input pin of LT3680. There may be a fault in one of the
input filtering inductors.

If you order the IC, please be sure to use the full PN. I`ll help you to
find it.

I do not have the schematic of Hermes available on my PC as I am traveling
in New Zealand at the moment but I`ll try to help if possible.

73, Kjell

Has anybody experienced a 5v on board power supply failure? I get zero
output.

The board works fine from an external 5v source drawing about 1.5 A.

I'm curious if LT3680 IC needs to be replaced...

73
Vasiliy