[hpsdr] TeamSpeak audio 2014/Nov/22

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sat Nov 22 10:09:36 PST 2014

Edson,

Glad you enjoyed the TeamSpeak discussion.

The article you reference gives a very good and succinct tutorial. "Fast
convolution" has been around for a very long time; however, it is
apparently not well-known / well-understood.  Doing down-conversion at
the same time is just an extension of the concept.  I'd recommend this
article for anyone (1) interested in learning more about practical ways
of implementing FIR filters in DSP or (2) looking at various DSP
down-conversion techniques.

There are quite a few ways to do down-conversion in DSP.  Each seems to
have its "place":  (1) Perhaps the easiest to understand is simply
multiplying the IQ signal by a complex oscillator. Multiplication by a
complex oscillator in the time-domain "rotates" the spectrum in the
frequency domain (this is the frequency-shifting property of the DFT).
(2) Using "fast convolution" with decimation done in the frequency
domain via aliasing (discussed above).  (3) Google for "polyphase
channelizer" and you'll find a technique that provides many fixed,
down-converted "channels".  (4) One can use FFTs with windowing of the
signal and selection of bins. ....  These are all useful in various
situations.

For some of the down-conversions we've been discussing recently in
HPSDR, we are starting with high-bandwidth data ... many Mhz of
spectrum.  So, the down-conversion algorithms must be "drinking from a
firehose" as Phil likes to say.  If FFTs are used in that process, that
implies that we must execute FFTs very rapidly.  There are a couple
other DSP concepts that I believe are also not well-known or
understood:  (1) using a complex FFT to more efficiently compute the FFT
of real data, and (2) using multiple complex FFTs, running in parallel,
to compute the FFT of a complex sample stream.  For those interested in
exploring DSP algorithms, these are also useful for the toolbox.

73,
Warren  NR0V