[hpsdr] Utility to mimic Hermes or Mercury-Metis IQ output

Roger Rehr 73w3sz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 03:23:04 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I am working on a project to update my multi HPSDR controller setup.
There is one client GUI that controls/gets display data from 7 HPSDR
radio servers.

I have command and control working, and the display working with
"fake" data sent from server to client as you can see at:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/ServerAndLargeClient-2304_9-10-2014.png

But I am now at the point where I need real I/Q data to see the
results of my changing FFTSize up to 262144, and whether my method of
doing the pixel averaging, etc. is working.  And I am in New Zealand
without any HPSDR hardware to use for testing.  So I need to input
fake IQ data into my server.

To save myself a lot of work, I am posting this to see if anyone has
already written a utility that will send I/Q data via a network socket
so that Kiss Konsole [for example] thinks that it is getting I/Q data
from a piece of HPSDR software.  I only need the I/Q data sent, and
enough "handshaking" so that my Kiss Konsole server thinks it is
getting data from Hermes or Mercury/Metis. I don't need to test
command and control as I am confident that I have that working OK.

I have 192000 sec-1 sampling rate wave files I can use as input to
such a Utility, or if the utility just generates fake IQ data that
will produce a reasonable spectrum that is OK too.  I just need to
"See" what I have done :)

If you've made such a utility and would be willing to share it, or
even if you just have partial code that I can build upon, please let
me know!

If nothing is available I'll attempt to roll my own.

Thanks in advance!

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ