[hpsdr] PennyWhistle T1 construction and measurement

Andrew Howell andy at gamubaru.com
Sun Oct 12 11:03:25 PDT 2014

After sitting on my workbench for far too long, I finally decided to
assemble my PennyWhistle.

I have some very basic questions about T1 construction. I made the
bifilar secondary and connected it up as shown in the diagram in the
instructions.

The instructions say is should be 50 ohms impedance on the primary, 50
ohms on across the secondary, and 25 ohms impedance on between the
secondary leads and the center-tap.

I have an LCR meter, but I don't think that is going to help me, as it
measures Z at a max of 10khz.

I do measure 12.9 uH on the primary, and 12.8 uH on the secondary. The
two sides of the secondary to center-tap are each 4.6 uH.  Those two
secondary to center-tap inductances seem low. I would have expected
6.4uH, ie half the 12.8uH of the secondary.

So, are these the values I should expect? Why don't the secondary to
center-tap inductances add up to the inductance of the whole secondary
leads?

I expect I'm about to learn something :)

73, Andy - KF5JLJ