[hpsdr] PennyWhistle T1 construction and measurement

Graham gh78731 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 11:48:39 PDT 2014

Andy:

Inductance of turns on a common core go as the number of turns squared, not
proportional to the number of turns.

So I would expect the inductance of the secondary end to end to be about 4
times the inductance of one side.

That particular transformer falls apart, performance wise, below 1.8 MHz,
so measuring at 10 kHz is not meaningful.

The impedances quoted are for a loaded transformer, so if you have some
sort of antenna analyzer, like
an MFJ-259, if you put a 50 Ohm load across the secondary, you should see
about 50 Ohms looking into the
primary. But, only between about 1.8 MHz and 54 Mhz. Below those
frequencies, there is insufficient
inductance for the transformer to work at or above 50 Ohms.  Above those
frequencies, parasitics dominate.

If you think you have assembled the transformer correctly, I would go ahead
and continue assembling
the kit.  If you have wound something incorrectly, the amplifier may not
work properly, but unlikely you
will destroy something.

Continue with the build, and troubleshoot afterwards if necessary.

--- Graham / KE9H

==