[hpsdr] WSJT VAC, ALC and PowerSDR mRX PS

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sat Oct 11 17:19:37 PDT 2014

Hi Conrad,

I don't know about the noise burst.  However, I can comment on the way
the ALC works.

First, and perhaps most important for your concern, the ALC NEVER
applies any gain greater than 1.0.  If merely sits on the sideline
watching the incoming signal and, if/when it sees a signal coming on the
horizon that is too large, it gradually reduces the gain so the signal
peaks at 1.0.  Once the peak has passed, it gradually increases the gain
back to 1.0 (unless, of course, there's another peak coming that
requires gain reduction).  Also, there is zero "ALC overshoot" in this
system.  There is no option to disable the ALC; however, as I described,
it just sits on the sideline and watches unless there is an
over-amplitude signal on the horizon.

That said, there are a few features that DO offer greater than unity
gain:  Compressor, Leveler, and Equalizer.  Those can all be deactivated
and I suppose they should be for digital modes.

I doubt that this solves your problem; however, perhaps it might offer
other ideas of what could be generating this noise burst.

73,
Warren  NR0V