[hpsdr] KISS Konsole on Ubuntu 14.04

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 2 14:29:49 PDT 2014

Dear Jae,
Sorry for the delay in replying!

And also sorry that you won't be able to be in Austin for the DCC.  It would be good to
meet and talk.  I'm sure that you could teach me a few things that I need to know.

Like the best way to download the required Mono packages to Ubuntu 14.04 (which I have in
a VM on a Windows 7 machine).  Maybe you can describe the process on the list?

So there is little chance that KISS Konsole would be ported to use cuFFT, because not all
graphic cards are NVidia cards...  There is a chance to port to WDSP, but that's  a bit of
work, and I was trying to unload the job of KISS Konsole Maintainer, so that I could
finish my working career, retire, and then get back into KK.  I think it mwill be a year
or two before I retire, just to stash away more than enough money to play hard after
retiring.

But then, maybe I'll have to do that anyway, and change SharpDSP to be something that uses
WDSP instead of fftw.  Let's call it SharpDSP2, for now.

And as I did say, most of the heavy processing for noise reduction is executed in C#.  If
I could find a way to move that to  C, that would maybe allow some optimizing in OpenCL or
CUDA.  I think that Warren has provided some dandy noise reduction within WDSP in any
event.  So that if I replace the C# code with that, maybe some better processing is
perceived on platforms like the Jetson TK1.  I am kind of wondering then the 'Jetson TK2'
or similar (with ARM 64 bit processors) shows up!

In any event, if anyone else on the list makes it to the DCC, please look me up!  I'm a
TAPR board member, so somewhat busy with the DCC, however, never too busy to talk shop
about SDR.

73,
George K9TRV