[hpsdr] KISS Konsole on Ubuntu 14.04

Hermann hvh.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:30:09 PDT 2014

Hi Jae,

congrats to your KISS-Linux port! Great to hear that.

Regarding the use of cuFFT, I did this for the SharpDSP package (at least
for some part of it) a couple of years ago (on Windows). Just replacing the
FFTW lib with cuFFT though might not be the most efficient way using CUDA.
During the path through the SharpDSP package you need to copy the data back
and forth between CPU and GPU memory. Although this is now much more
efficient with the new CUDA -  I did this with CUDA V2.x - there would
still be a high overhead using some CPU cycles which eventually will
destroy the advantage of cuFFT, if there is any at FFT-bin sizes below, say
256 k or even bigger. The way to go is minimizing copying of data between
CPU and GPU memory. As a consequence some of the computational demanding
algorithms (esp. the NR and ANF algs) should be parallelized to run on the
CUDA cores.

73, Hermann
DL3HVH