[hpsdr] FFT latency

G3XJP G3XJP at RhodesG3XJP.plus.com
Sun Apr 5 03:54:42 PDT 2015

I need your collective wisdom!  Is it not an inescapable fact that any
serious FFT in the real-time path between your antenna and your ears
must introduce an inherent and inevitable delay that will preclude a
conversational VOX/QSK QSO?  I can see that it would not preclude
listening to a monologue - or to watching spectral pictures on a
display.  But anything more than about 1/5 sec is doomed to feel like
Skype on a bad day - where you often end up having to say "over".  As a
generality, am I missing something fundamental here?  Peter G3XJP