[hpsdr] Hermes troubles

MDS Info info at mds-ham.com
Sat Apr 11 13:12:21 PDT 2015

Hello,

First there is an error in the Hermes schematic:

The output of U29 does NOT go to the input of U30 nor D1 led.  Instead, they
go to the non-U29 side of R133

Refresher: my Hermes programmed via the Ethernet, and seemed to run but
would not do DHCP, nor could I ping the board
 after assigning a static IP address.  Programming and such always worked in
bootloader mode.

A fellow ham suggested the problem might be the 2208 was not placed exactly
right.  So, I removed it.  I repowered the board
without the 2208 chip (pads cleaned up and checked before) and the board
seemed dead.  Folks told me the FPGA needed the
2208 for it's clock and that is why it would not run.

After replacing the 2208, with good alignment the board still seemed dead.

Got poking around and found both 3V3VD and 1P2VD dead.  Took 2208 chip back
off and pads OK, still 3V3VD and (therefore)
1P2VD dead.  Isolated 3V3VD as much as I could.  Cut tie in R133 and ran
good 3.3V power to U30.  It draws the 5V power
supply down a lot and 0.2V output.

My conclusion, and please refute this, is that the FPGA shorted internally
after being programmed and run without a 2208
chip.

All other power supplies ok.

73's

Glen K4KV