[hpsdr] Bootloader issues

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Apr 18 13:27:55 PDT 2015

I just don't seem to be able to get the knack of HPSDR firmware update.

I'm trying to update a Metis/Mercury/Pennylane system.  PowerSDR
recognizes it just fine.  HPSDRProgrammer recognizes it just fine.  I've
been able to update Metis to firmware 3.0 via the programmer.

But HPSDRBootloader fails instantly with a MAC timeout error (or
interrogation timeout error if I push that button).  There's no
indication that bootloader ever finds Metis.  The "timeout" error occurs
within a fraction of a second after I push the button (which seems
odd...)  I *have* put the J1 jumper on.

Because the computer has two interfaces with my Hermes normally on the
other one, I thought network issues might be the problem.  I've made
sure the Hermes unit is turned off, of course.

So, I've (a) swapped NICs and IP networks, (b) disabled the unused NIC;
(c) reverted from latest bootloader version back to 2.0.4.0; (d) tried
another Metis card; and (e) downloaded and tried the Linux version of
bootloader on another machine on the network.

In each case, the only result is that the bootloader instantly fails and
tells me that I need to install J1.

So, I've basically swapped out everything except Atlas and LPU, with the
same results.  (Other info: Running Windows 7.  I've set bootloader to
run with admin privileges via the "compatibility" tab in the shortcut.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John