[hpsdr] FFT latency

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 5 13:20:59 PDT 2015

There is a different way to do the time/frequency thing.

It is Spectrum Magnification. When Science and Engineering Applications
require accurate Frequency Spectrum, (time to frequency conversion), the
Fourier transform is chosen, usually by default because the Libraries and
Apps are so readily available. These tools use the discrete Fourier
transform (DFT) carried out by the now famous fast Fourier transform (FFT).
For many applications this may have adequate resolution, however, there are
applications especially in Radio and RADAR where determining spectral peaks
require great accuracy, the DFT is inadequate for this task. The typical
solution of increasing resolution using the FFT is to pad the samples at the
end of the sequence with extra zeros; is hampered by practical limitations.
This technique may allow the analysis to zoom in on tiny intervals of
interest, but at the cost of increased computations and aliasing
difficulties.

The desired analyzer is one that allows parametric resolution only over the
desired frequency range, allowing the display to move across the spectrum
with variable resolution, and bandwidth. Applying Euler's identity, a
recursive algorithm allows subspectrum analysis over a very small frequency
range at an arbitrary high resolution without zooming and aliasing problems.

This algorithm provides the following parametric interface:

F1 = starting frequency
F2 = ending frequency
Nf = number of frequency points
N = number of samples
SPS = samples per second

This techniques is not more efficient than the FFT in many applications,
especially when quickly processing (and displaying) wide bandwidth (50,000
foot view), but it is far more efficient, accurate, and faster (less
latency) when processing microscopic views, allowing accurate views of
peaks, valleys, and slopes without missing detail otherwise missed by the
FFT. The more narrow the frequency range, the more attractive is this
technique over the FFT. This is the technique you see being used in those
$100,000 analyzers.