[hpsdr] FFT latency

G3XJP G3XJP at RhodesG3XJP.plus.com
Mon Apr 6 01:05:05 PDT 2015

Great.  Many thanks all for that collective wisdom.  All understood and
all internalised.

I only operate SSB with full conversational VOX using my h/b PICaSTAR.
Usually in QSOs where nobody says more than a few words in one go.
Often with interruptions - which give a "double" of no more than one
word.  Exactly as per a conversation in the local (British) pub.  Other
PICaSTAR users run full break-in CW - and some just have long overs.

All in the time domain, it has very small latency.  But I'm just
finishing off some serious Noise Reduction capability in the freq domain
and even with 40Hz bins, I'm worried it will cause exactly the problem I
asked about.   You have confirmed my worst fears - namely that the
delays can be minimised but are inherent.

Very easily measured. I connected up my CW ditter to Rx ANT and put one
'scope lead on those 20wpm dots. The other 'scope lead on the Rx audio
out. The difference between them is 23 millisecs. That is longer than
you might dream of - but exactly on the edge of acceptable.   The
redeeming feature is that the instant you go from Tx to Rx you do hear
some residual of the Rx audio that was there in the pipeline at the
moment when you went to Tx. With little experience, you just KNOW you
were briefly doubling.

But you have to conclude that more narrower bins - giving better
resolution for noise and tone removal - would be operationally
unacceptable.  My last vestigial thought is that it might be possible to
dynamically change the bin width at the moment of T/R or even bypass Mr
Fourier briefly.  But there are a finite number of MIPs in the real-time
path even with an ADSP 2181 and either of those approaches feel as if
they would be both tricky and clicky.  As ever, the pleasure is in the
trying.

cheers and many thanks,  Peter G3XJP