[hpsdr] VHF-millimeter up/down converters?

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Wed Apr 22 14:56:42 PDT 2015

While I understand the interest in multiple, independent channels (more
than receivers; akin to additional ADCs on Angelia) I don't think I'm
interested in trying to solve all problems at once. I'm definitely not
interested in doing an amateur-banded approach again.

What I'm pondering is essentially a stepping 25 MHz wide block up/down
converter that can quickly go anywhere from 50 MHz to [6 GHz].  With
this approach, if someone wants simultaneous different amateur microwave
bands, they would have to purchase additional block converters.

It would be possible, I suppose, to put hooks into the last fixed IF
(somewhere a bit above [6 GHz]) and sum independent bands up there but
that has the problem of broadband noise floors degrading things, since
narrow filtering probably isn't always practical at the higher bands.
Better to just do the whole thing again and go into a different Angelia ADC.

This architecture could solve the scope shortcoming but still requires
the purchase of additional hardware in order to get simultaneous multple
bands.  But each band already requires post(power) amplifier, LNA and
filtering on a per-amateur-band basis, no matter how it is done. Even
the traditional approach has this characteristic. The extra cost of two
additional fixed frequency conversions would likely only increment the
per-band cost a modest percentage of the amateur-band total, depending
upon what one chose for performance.

My thought would be that this stepping block converter would leave the
user with, say +20 dBm and 10 dB NF, improvements to this would be
expected to take place however and wherever the user wanted it, e.g.
mast or near-mast mounted LNA and kW for EME.

On receive,  external gain will eat into dynamic range, but as has been
noted, microwave is a different context and super-high dynamic range and
IMD, and even superlative phase noise performance, are probably not as
crucial in practice.

In my view, the trick is to come up with an architecture/scope that is

  * easily reproducible
  * attractive to the majority of SDR users as a means of extending range
  * at a tolerable per-band price point
  * also able to act as broadband spectrum analyzer and vector network
    analyzer

The per-band enhancements would be out of scope.

I'm still considering if/when I would want to take on this limited task.
It looks like a several man-year project to me.

Glenn n6gn