[hpsdr] Windows 10

Erik van Maanen pa3des at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 22 05:27:34 PDT 2015

Just to come back on this issue from a few weeks ago, triggered by the
question from Mike, KC4RI
I tested a few more times but it takes still 6  minutes until the hard
disk stops clutching.
Desktop starts a little before that but that's not a benchmark for
startup speed for a measurement / receiver system.
Obviously there was an indexing thing going on the first time but all
speed aspects are still much worse than windows 7.
Screen is a mess and everything is slow, intermittent missing icons,
missing startmenu items, programs like fldigi have broken audio.
I guess there is something wrong in the driver system.
I have a deja vu of data acquisition under windows 95, 20 years ago
fortunately I also had OS/2 warp in those days.

My first quick conclusion hasn't changed and windows 10 is just scary
from a privacy perspective, forced updates installing problematic
drivers, no way.
In the end I tried to de install and go back to windows 7, It failed,
just to warn you, make a disk image first, I did :-)
Maybe after a year or so when microsoft is slapped in the face by enough
people they make things acceptable again.

73, Erik PA3DES