[hpsdr] special 2Rx RA version of OpenHPSDR PowerSDR

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Sun Aug 30 16:15:38 PDT 2015

Joe,

Thank you for doing this.  I really like it as well.

Can you tell me what the algorithm for reporting power is?  That is, how
is the reported power calculated.  There are several ways of doing this,
rms of several reads of individual bins, rms of multiple bins, log of
averages, average of logs etc.  I know that for older spectrum analyzers
that a correction factor was required to get to KTB, where B was the
indicated 3 dB bandwidth of an IF filter with some particular shape
factor.  This depended upon whether samples were peaks or averages,
logged first or not and of course presumed something about the nature of
the noise.

For a lot of things it's nice to be able to get to S/N from a displayed
answer.

I suppose I can measure something carefully and see what the results are
but I thought since you are already using this for RA that you might be
able to say.

Best,
Glenn n6gn