[hpsdr] special 2Rx RA version of OpenHPSDR PowerSDR

Joe Martin k5so at k5so.com
Sun Aug 30 17:43:59 PDT 2015

Glenn,

Thanks for the feedback; it’s appreciated.

The RA utility uses the “CalculateRXMeter” routine within the wdsp library, in the same way that the signal strength meters on the main panel of OpenHPSDR PowerSDR do.  I haven’t examined the “CalculateRXMeter” routine in wdsp.dll to see what algorithm is actually used there but I’m sure Warren NR0V can answer your question about that or, alternatively, one can look directly at the source code for that routine within the wdsp source code.

The specific calls I use in the RA utility to obtain Rx1 and Rx2 power levels are:

                sig_level += wdsp.CalculateRXMeter(0, 0, wdsp.MeterType.SIGNAL_STRENGTH);
                sig_level2 += wdsp.CalculateRXMeter(2, 0, wdsp.MeterType.SIGNAL_STRENGTH);
                RA_count = RA_count + 1;

where the two signal levels are summed as many times as the user has specified in the “# of measurements to average” control in the RA window then the sum is divided by the value “RA_count" to obtain the average power value for each receiver over the interval that has been selected by the user.

I do have an “RA_cal” value that is applied in the RA code that allows fine-scale calibration of the values, which I have set to result in values within the RA utility that are roughly equal to the values that are reported by the main PowerSDR signal strength meters for the two receivers.

As Warren has commented before, the signal strength meters on the main panel of OpenHPSDR PowerSDR refer to the power level within the filter passband that the user has selected for demodulation, as opposed for example to any particular bin of the main display spectrum.

I hope this information helps you to find the detailed answer to your question.

73, Joe K5SO