[hpsdr] Hermes Pure Signal

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sat Dec 12 09:43:35 PST 2015

Hi Lyle,

Yes, lower rates than 384K can be used.  The optimized rate today is
192K which means we can run five simultaneous receivers within the
100Mbit ethernet bandwidth.

On related matters, the filtering Helmut mentioned was really tightening
of the specifications on passband ripple and other items on the DUC and
DDC filter designs.  As you probably know, making better digital filters
consumes more logic elements.  The other firmware item is that, during
transmit, we pipe the DUC output back down through a DDC channel ---
there's some switching and lines required for that.  I see Joe has
commented on some of this in an email that I just received as I was
composing this one.

Joe and Phil are the experts on "what will fit" and "what will not
fit".  We've also discussed the possibility of short-circuiting the
DUC-DDC loopback.  However, after a couple attempts, we've never made
that work in an acceptable manner --- there's still hope; but, nothing
proven on that path.

Finally, there's the matter of firmware development resources.  I don't
fall into that category; however, both Joe and Phil spend a LOT of time
on firmware.  Right now there are a lot of forward-looking efforts on
the table and resources are scarce.

73,
Warren  NR0V