[hpsdr] Computer required for HPSDR - a little bit off topic

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Wed Jan 7 19:28:44 PST 2015

All:
I have been a bit disappointed with HPSDR performance. Specifically, CPU
load is high, I can't run RX2 without unacceptable distortion on both
receivers, and forget the Automatic Noise Limiter.

I am using a dedicated computer specifically built for HPSDR:
     Intel Atom  CPU D250 @ 1.8 GHz
     4.0 GB RAM
     Windows 7 SP1, 32 bit.
Software:
     Avast Anti-Virus
     Firefox browser (only runs to get info, software/firmware updates,
does not run when using HPSDR
     HP Generic Print Driver
     the HPSDR software, pretty sure I'm on the latest version of the
mRX flavor.
     drivers for LogiTech wireless mouse and keyboard

It is connected to the HPSDR hardware via a giga-bit network switch here
in the shack.  Access to the internet is via another gigabit switch, a
Linksys router, and a satellite modem.  Due to satellite internet
latency, I have no intention of trying to run HPSDR other than on local
network.

Based on what I think I read on here, I would have expected this system
to be more than adequate.  I do not think it is, based on the
performance I'm seeing.

Background:  (The partially off-topic part)  The spousal unit's laptop,
which she uses for email and web browsing just died.  I have recovered
the data off the hard disk which appears to be good.

SO, here's the questions:
1.  What is the assessment of this learned group of the adequacy of my
HPSDR computer?
2.  If the hardware is assessed as adequate, any suggestions on changes
to make?  In particular, I note that MS loads a LOT of services, which I
suspect I don't need in this dedicated use.  Can someone point to a list
of things I could disable, or a list of things that I MUST have?  I've
turned a few that are obvious OFF, but do not know enough about the guts
of Win7 to go any further without guidance.
3.  If the hardware should be adequate, are there any other suggestions
to improve performance so that I could at least run the second RX?
4.  If the hardware is inadequate to HPSDR (In which case this device
will be repurposed as the spousal unit machine, she doesn't need a
laptop, just a small footprint on the desk), what would be minimum
hardware to successfully enjoy all of HPSDR functionality? I'd like to
keep it small (hence the atom) because once successful, a duplicate will
be built to go on the road in a microwave rover station.
5.  In particular, is there something other than Intel I should be
looking at?  As I built this thing, I found documentation, drivers and
support to be "sub-optimal".

Thanks!!
73,
Jim