[hpsdr] Computer required for HPSDR - a little bit off topic

John radio at mediacombb.net
Thu Jan 8 17:04:19 PST 2015

Hi Jim,

What you use for a PC probably depends a lot on how you operate. Each
program activity you run concurrently will use PC resources. For
example, in JT65 I like to decode all the signals in over 3 kHz of
bandwidth, even when I'm working a station.   I also like to use more
resolution in the Hermes panoramic frequency display.

My old AMD dual core would run Hermes with PowerSDR fine, but JT65HF
slowed way down and the PC would not decode the signals until too
late.  Also, it was using Windows XP.

I built an computer using an Intel i5 processor on an ASUS
motherboard and everything works wonderfully.  The window in PowerDSR
typically shows 18% utilization.  I run Hermes, PowerSDR, and either
WSJT-X or FLdigi, along with my logging program.  I also check Email
and Up/Down load to LoTW at the same time.  I use 64bit Windows 7 Pro
and the C drive on my PC is a solid state drive.  I use 8 GB of memory.

This all should allow for some expansion as more programs and
features are added.

I'm not a computer expert, but my research 18 months ago showed the
Intel chips use less electricity for the same processing power than
the AMD chips.

My experience with HPSDR is limited to using Hermes.  I know Phil has
made several improvements to the firm ware for it, and I have always
installed the newest firmware.  I think soon the gigabit ethernet
firmware will be released.  I don't know if this will perk up your
rig or not.  Right now my Hermes runs on 100 megabit ethernet.

I like tower PCS, but if you operate ARRL Field Day a laptop might be
the way to go.  I wish I'd have thought about that before I build my tower!

73,

John  WoGN