[hpsdr] Computer required for HPSDR - a little bit off topic

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Thu Jan 8 17:18:08 PST 2015

Joe:

Thanks for your response.  Two things I left out:
     1.  The Atom has a solid-state drive.
     2.  I AM running Atlas-based hardware.

I am very surprised that you characterize my computer as inadequate.
That's an admission, not an accusation.  As in my original post, I chose
what I did based on what I THOUGHT I'd read as successful experiences on
this list.  Guess I didn't read what I thought I had.

Please DO share your parts list.  If it is affordable, I'll look for
something like it.  I have two HPSDRs, and want to use one as an IF in a
rover microwave station.  The other will be my home HF rig and 2m
weak-signal rig, with a 100 MHz LO transverter.  Obviously, at least one
of these needs to be small.  I will spend the bucks for solid-state
drives, since this will be a single purpose machine and I will eagerly
trade capacity for speed.

I appreciate the guidance.

Suggestions from other experts eagerly welcomed.

Thanks!

73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org

On 1/8/2015 7:55 PM, Joe Martin wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Sorry to hear that your dedicated computer isn’t doing the job for you.  From your description it seems clear to me that the Atom computer is simply not up to the task you’re asking of it in terms of performance.
>
> I’m not experienced enough with computers to prescribe in detail what you might need to do at a minimum in order to make your Atom computer perform better.  Marginal performance computer systems, such as the one you are using, are simply not a good match for the H(igh)P(erformance)SDR hardware, especially now that the group is increasingly focused on using higher and higher data rates (i.e., for wider bandwidth and mulltiple RX applications).
>
> If it is of any interest to you, I would be happy to share the parts list that I used to put together a dedicated high-performance computer for my HPSDR work this last August that has no problem at all in running the HPSDR hardware at the maximum data rates.  The system I put together is a quad-core Haswell i7 based 64-bit machine running at 3 GHz, using Windows 7 Pro with 8 GB RAM.
>
> You didn’t mention which HPSDR platform you are using.  If you are using the Atlas-based HPSDR hardware you should be aware that the FPGA firmware designs for the Atlas-based boards are currently pushing the data-rate limits on that particular hardware platform, particularly in terms of maximum data rates on the Atlas bus.  The fact is that currently the single-board transceiver hardware platforms handle the HPSDR high-data rate tasks much better than Atlas-based hardware but I think your marginal performance computer is the main problem for you; simply my opinion of course.
>
> Perhaps someone else will have a more authoritative response for you.  I hope so.  I didn’t see any response to your post on the reflector so I responded privately to you in case some of the info herein might be useful to you.
>
> 73, Joe K5SO
>
> On Jan 7, 2015, at 8:28 PM, Jim Sanford wrote:

>> All:
>> I have been a bit disappointed with HPSDR performance. Specifically, CPU load is high, I can't run RX2 without unacceptable distortion on both receivers, and forget the Automatic Noise Limiter.
>>
>> I am using a dedicated computer specifically built for HPSDR:
>>     Intel Atom  CPU D250 @ 1.8 GHz
>>     4.0 GB RAM
>>     Windows 7 SP1, 32 bit.
>> Software:
>>     Avast Anti-Virus
>>     Firefox browser (only runs to get info, software/firmware updates, does not run when using HPSDR
>>     HP Generic Print Driver
>>     the HPSDR software, pretty sure I'm on the latest version of the mRX flavor.
>>     drivers for LogiTech wireless mouse and keyboard

> [...]

---