[hpsdr] My hardware setup

Steven Wilson stevew at ka6s.com
Sun Jan 11 07:55:34 PST 2015

I thought I would just post of some recent experience on this subject.

I have a base Atlas system, i.e.
Metis/Mercury/Penelope/Alex/Pennywhistle system. My GOAL is to run with
EVERYTHING contained within the Pandora box.  I've tried all levels of
small ARM based boards - I've had constant issues with GHPSDR that are
all mine for whatever reason.

So recently I thought - well lets go back to Intel in the smallest
platform I can find. That is how I found the Intel NUCs.  It looks alot
like the original miniMac.  It is very roughly 1 1/2" by 4 1/2" (by site
not by ruler).  It has a video port, a few USB ports, 1G Ethernet, It is
a basic Atom Based PC of very recent vintage. I got 8 GBytes of memory
and an SSD card for it and loaded it with a new version of Win 7.

I use HPSDR as an HF radio and only need/will ever really use a couple
of receivers in my day-to-day usage. So I'm just running stock PowerSDR
on it with a 20% CPU overhead. I ran it in the RTTY contest a bit last
weekend with FLDIGI and it worked just fine.

Summary - it is an attractive little box that is an entire PC. With the
SSD it boots quickly and since I don't plan loading a ton of software
onto it I suspect the SSD is going to last a good long time!

I'm going to still play with GHPSDR - but that IS the point after all! ;-)

Steve KA6S