[hpsdr] My experiences of using SDR-IQ and SDRplay as external receiver of Kenwood TS-590SG - while running HDSDR.

K4LCD k4lcd at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 5 03:29:16 PDT 2015

*
*Re. My experiences of using SDR-IQ and SDRplay as external receiver of
Kenwood TS-590SG - while running HDSDR. *

Good morning friends of SDR and greetings from Miami, Florida.

It finally happened!

Now is "plug and play". All I needed was to connect the antenna output
of either the SDR receiver to the DRV (RCA jack on the back of the
TS-590SG) after previously enabling "ANT" from Menu 85 and plunging the
USB 2.0 cable to my Windos 8.1 computer. Now, "METER/DRV" on the front
of the TS-590SG is used to toggle the function ON/OFF.

After installing the plugins in HDSDR it all runs like (even better)
than a $6,000.00 SDR transceiver, since OmniRig Syncronized both rigs
perfectly and I can even access the Control Console of the SDRplay while
running HDSDR for full receiver control.

And friends, everything is STABLE!

I paid for the TS-590SG $1,450.00 delivered.
IMHO as an Amateur, who is only a USER, the -broader- future of SDR in
Amateur Radio is in HYBRID setups of SDR receivers with modern
conventional, well engineered, high quality transceivers.

I respectfully suggest that considerations of further development of
softwares like HDSDR may be warranted, since Kenwood's decision to allow
for external SDR receivers to plug into their radios, to run in parallel
with their Internal receivers, may indeed be, THE REAL GAME CHANGER!

Always searching for a Happy Amateur Radio Experience...

Thank you and 73

--
Juan A. Granados /K4LCD - WF2XXQ
https://sites.google.com/site/k4lcdars/