[hpsdr] BBhamnet & Hermes??

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Jul 4 08:22:33 PDT 2015

John,
Perhaps you are confused and conflating several different projects (HPSDR and BBhamnet)
that TAPR has/is supported/supporting, and has featured at the TAPR forum in Dayton?
Remember, it's the TAPR forum and not the HPSDR forum!

Hermes can only be used on a local subnet.  That is, Hermes must be on the same subnet as
the computer controlling it.  Just because something is full-duplex, that doesn't make it
usable across a routed network like the Internet, WiFi, or something like BBHamNet.  There
is no routing code in Hermes.  There is minimal support for DHCP, and it's in FPGA logic,
done carefully by Phil VK6PH.

TAPR has often, in the past, supported such concepts as BBHamNet, and support has recently
been increased with the passing of John Stephenson, and the receipt of a substantial
bequest in his will to help finish the work that John started.  Thus, TAPR has reached out
to such communities as BBHamNet to try and find support and developers to finish John's
work.

So, I do not think that you WOULD use PowerSDR and Hermes over BBHamNet.

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV
TAPR board member