[hpsdr] Audio output noise

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:18:56 PDT 2015

My Mercury based system (Mercury, Penelope, Metis) has developed a
problem.  Operated the system and then didn't turn it on for about 5
days.  When I turned it on everything appeared to be operating, but when
I applied power both the speakers and the headphones had a noise that
sounds somewhat like digital data.

The noise continues when mute is pressed.

The noise continues when in transmit mode.

The noise condition doesn't change with changes in the volume, even when
the volume is at 0.  This is true of both the master volume and the
rx1/2 volume controls.

The system is fully functional.  When operating, signals can be heard,
and change level with the volume control.  The noise is still present.

I tried to record the noise with the volume turned to 0.  The recorded
file had no output, although it was the length of the recording period.
  I do hear recorded output with the volume up but I believe that it is
the band noise, without the described problem.

I tried a different power supply.  Nothing changed.

Cycled power and rebooted the computer, no change.

Reconfigured PSDR to default values. No change.

Haven't successfully tried a different computer.  Tried psdr 2.3? but
couldn't get by the firmware check.  Tried 3.2.9, problem same. Present
PSDR 3.2.24

Just prior to the problem Windows 7 did an update.  The system is based
on the Intel ZEON processor.

HELP!