[hpsdr] Hermes trouble

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:02:25 PDT 2015

Glen --

Sorry to here about the 0dbm issue.  Not sure what to make of that.

as for HPSDRBootloader and the HPSDRProgrammer_nopcap

The  HPSDRProgrammer_nopcap should never use the j12 as the software is
using the same UDP protocol that PowerSDR uses to talk to the board.  This
requires that there be a valid firmware loaded so that the software can
connect.  If neither HPSDRProgrammer_nopcap or PowerSDR connect your board
the next step is to:

Put the J12 and use the HPSDRBootloader,  this software does not need a
valid firmware loaded and does not use UDP protocol.  It does require a
valid bootloader firmware loaded in the board, placed there by the
manufacture and it uses the pcap protocol.    To use this you will need to
have administrator privileges and the pcap library loaded.

On Linux you simply

sudo apt-get install libpcap

On window you will need to download and install Winpcap.  The Winpcap
license is free but they require that we can not redistribute the library
and the end user must get it from there website.

Then the HPSDRBootloader checks to see if the MAC address of a Metis or
Hermes board on the specified network.  If you get to this point is often a
good idea to eliminate ethernet switches and routers between your computer
and the board as some routers may restrict the range of the pcap packets.
it does work well thought some of these but at this point you should
eliminate variables in your problem.

If the board is still functioning, you should be able to re-program the
firmware.  If it fails, it is either a missing bootloader in the board or a
hardware problem.

I hope this helps

Dave KV0S

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Info <info at mds-ham.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using my Hermes for about 1 month now.  Last night, after
> running all day on 6M, the Hermes went into
> some sort of rx oscillation mode (I think) where the display went to
> around 0 dbm.
>
> Changed bands, took off the antenna, stopped and restarted PSDR, but the
> only thing that helped is powering off
> the Hermes.  I thought it might be getting too hot, but it ran all day.
>
> Restarted the computer, reset the database.  Now, it goes into this
> failure mode between 10 seconds and several
> minutes.  All the leds inside are normal, and no changes seen there.
>
> I am wondering what might cause this?  Being digital, I wondered if the
> highest order bit of the ADC might not be making
> good connection and going high all the time(???)
>
> BTW, other things which are probably not good news, I was unable to
> re-program the Hermes with J12 on.   The programmer
> software does not find the Hermes.  However, PSDR never has a problem
> finding the Hermes (with and without the 0dbm
> problem).
>
> Can you use the ALtera programmer to program the 3.1 main code?
>
> 73's
>
> Glen K4KV

KV0S - Dave Larsen
Columbia, MO, USA