[hpsdr] PSDR stuff

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Wed Jun 17 15:48:51 PDT 2015

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your inputs.

I'd like to comment specifically on your item number 7 as similar
comments come up from time to time.

There is a relationship between the noise floor as displayed on the
S-meter and the noise floor as displayed on the panadapter. However,
these "noise floors" are two different measurements and depend upon your
settings.

S-meter:  Measures the noise within the receive bandpass.  So if, for
example, your receive bandpass is set to 3Khz, you are measuring the
total noise within that 3Khz.  Furthermore, you have your choice of
measurement modes for the S-meter - Peak mode (choose "Signal") or
Average mode (choose "Sig Avg").

Panadapter:  Displays a set of narrow frequency bins across the screen.
In Setup=>Display/... you can choose FFT size which changes the
bin-width.  The noise within a very narrow bin is much less than the
noise within the entire receive bandpass which is displayed by the
S-meter.  There are also various averaging modes that can be chosen for
the panadapter.

So, in summary, the noise floor on the panadapter will not agree with
that shown on the S-meter.  They are measuring different things.
However, they are both valid measurements.

73,
Warren  NR0V