[hpsdr] Angelia external clock input?

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Tue May 5 17:42:46 PDT 2015

Jim,
I can't provide any information as to a consensus but after studying my
new Angelia and analyzing why it didn't lock properly with an external
input, I came to the conclusion that the differential pair
external-10MHz condition circuit, which is essentially RTL, does not
have sufficient drive capability to provide the fast edges into the PC
track/TL and loading of the FPGA input.
Mine almost worked on receive but came unglued on transmit.

I wrote to Apache Labs who kindly sent me a new board - just installed
last night.  This board appears to solve the problem by inserting a fast
totem-pole output logic driver between the diff pair and the FPGA
line/input.  The result is that my Angelia now works properly on both
receive and transmit.

I can see no combination of input levels or wave shape that will likely
accomplish this same goal.  I think you need a daughter board or the
equivalent.

Just my opinion, not a consensus.

Glenn n6gn