[hpsdr] Hermes now rxing

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Tue May 5 15:44:51 PDT 2015

I would say this is both normal and the desired behavior. It's what a
commercial spectrum analyzer does. The reported level is referenced to
the antenna/input connector. What happens inside the receiver, other
than the resolution/display bandwidth, shouldn't affect this.  When
internal attenuation or preamplification is added or removed, the
receiver fixes the reporting to make those changes invisible. The
exception to this is that the displayed S Meter reading is reporting the
total power within the selected bandwidth. If it's mostly a carrier with
high S/N then you get the carrier's level. If it is mostly/all noise
then you get the noise power in that bandwidth.  Attenuation or
preamplification within the receiver just changes the sensitivity (noise
figure) but doesn't/shouldn't change what is coming in or how it is
reported.
Having the reporting done this way not only removes the receiver from
the measurement but lets one calculate, for example, system noise figure
by subtracting 10*log(bw) from the displayed reading on noise and
comparing it with KTB in 1 Hz - -174 dBm.  This is useful in comparing
QRN levels to a "quiet" world on HF (which I never see any more!)

Glenn n6gn