[hpsdr] Analog Devices note on protecting AD

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:12:10 PDT 2015

The process gain from doubling the samplerate is ~3dB SNR in absense
of other factors; roughly equivalent to 1/2 bit of ADC resolution. SNR
= 6.02 * [Bits] + 1.77 + 10 * log( [Oversampling ratio] )

You would be hard pressed to find a real-world HF signal where this
would make a difference though; it is my opinion that both of the
receiver chains have exceeded the application requirement by enough
margin that the only way to effectively differentiate them is to make
measurements that have little similarity to real world situations.
Copying CW at 15dB below the atmospheric noise is about the human
limit. maybe 26dB down for the weakest JT modes. If we can get the
atmospheric noise into the ADC at 30dB above its minimum sensitivity
without the preamp/driver noise overwhelming it, there is simply not
much else that is required.

There is a lot of low hanging fruit to focus on other than the receiver specs.

73, John K5IT