[hpsdr] [OT] Cognitive Radio ?

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Sat Sep 19 09:03:33 PDT 2015

I remember that Frank Brickle AB2KT (brilliant Dttsp author with Bob
McGwier N4HY) presented a paper about "Cognitive Radio". His interests
were as early as 2007 and pre-dated our current crop of SDR software.

Could a "Cognitive Radio" automatically recognize the kind of modulation
and center itself on the proper QRG for LSB or USB? How about
automatically recognizing various Digi modes from their digital
signature and automatically enabling a decoder for that mode? it might
even be done for us dinosaurs operating CW <LOL>

Has anyone followed up on the research and development of Cognitive
Radio for Hams? Frank imagined how it might be implemented in the
Computer Language *Erlang* ;-) and how a Virtual Radio might be
organized. Bob G3UKB was an avid Erlang experimenter at one time. But I
have not heard anything for several years.

Ref:
----
DCC Meeting 2007 Frank Brickle AB2KT

2006 Scientific American