[hpsdr] CESSB & active Pure Signal in Flex

Jeff Brown n9iz at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 06:19:08 PDT 2016

Greetings All
I've been following the HPSDR project now for almost ten years.  I've seen the presentations of TAPR forums many times.  I ended up purchasing a Flex-5000A about six years ago before they became "legacy" radios.  Back then I wasn't doing much building or experimenting and needed a turnkey radio rather than a project.  Well, times change and so does technology.  Not much in the way of support from Flex Radio on the old 5000A.  I'm wondering if any of the current HPSDR versions of PowerSDR are at all compatible with the Flex line of radios.  They're still pretty good performers and quite the bargain these days.  I don't want to unload mine for pennies on the dollar, but would rather keep it as a test bed for some custom PowerSDR type software.
A couple features of yours I'm really interested in are Controlled Envelop SSB modulation and the Pure Signal active pre-distortion.  I'd love to be able to use those features on my Flex.  I've read the QST/QEX articles on CESSB and ran the author's sample wave files through my radio.  It seems to be capable of using it, but I don't know how to process the mic audio in real time rather than making custom wave files using SOX and Octave (which I've already done).  The author was really quite helpful in getting me through the correct scripts/code to pull this off.  Now I wish for more!
Maybe someone can tell me if this is even possible on my radio.  I know the new generation of boards (Angelia and Orion, I think) are doing a bunch of processing onboard rather than all in software.  I don't want to steal any thunder from this new tech, just wish to get more out of my Flex.  Maybe someone could help me out or point me in the right direction on how to implement these new features.  Is any of it really as simple as copying some source code from one and inserting in the appropriate place in the other?  So, please let me know if any of this is feasible or if I'm a complete fool to even want to try.  I'd be happy to work with anyone either through this discussion forum of privately.  I wish you all the best success with the HPSDR project and may even pop for one of those ANAN rigs one day.  Just not sure if they're as robust construction as my trusty Flex.  All the best.  73.
Jeffn9iz