[hpsdr] ANAN 10 28Mhz tx spectrum and generated birdie

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz73 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 22:24:34 PDT 2016

Dave,

Thanks for the post! I would recommend that you change the title of your
description from "ANAN-10 as a Transverter Driver" to something else,
because you didn't use an ANAN-10 in your tests. You used a TAPR Hermes
card and an ANAN PA module.  While the results might well be similar to
what would be seen with an ANAN-10, labeling your test results as coming
from an ANAN-10 [and thus from Apache] is incorrect, and I think unfair
to Abhi and Apache.  Your post, to which this is a response, also
incorrectly identified the hardware that you tested as an ANAN-10.

I think it would have been acceptable and fair to surmise in a
conclusion to your online article that the results might apply to an
ANAN-10, as long as the title and lead-in to the article didn't imply
that it WAS an APACHE-made ANAN-10 that you were testing when in fact it
was not.

I have not worried here about harmonics from my multiple Hermes [and
Atlas] units here, because the input filtering in my transverters
eliminates the need for such concern.  But I agree that if someone had a
transverter with a 28 MHz IF that had an input passband including up to
56 MHz or even 84 MHz, then the harmonics would be a concern and an
additional LPF would be necessary, as you rightly pointed out in your
test of your TAPR Hermes card as described at the URL you posted.

I asked Abhi about his thoughts on the concerns expressed in this
thread, and as always I got a quick, helpful, and carefully considered
response.  Here is what he sent me:

1. The Hermes card on it's own is not intended to be used as a
transmitter since it does not provide either LPFs or a T/R switch, when
used at around 300mw or lower the harmonics on all HF bands will be
around -30dB except on 6M where they are lower due to a 6M LPF which is
on the Hermes Tx path, hence Hermes stand alone does not meet FCC
requirements nor was it intended to on it's own,

2. When using a transverter @ 28Mhz with Hermes it is expected that the
transverter will have a 10M BPF to eliminate the harmonics before mixing
with the upconverter, the final Transverter PA will also have an LPF.

3. There is a low noise SMPS which converts 12v to 5v onboard, although
well designed by Kjell, LA2NI expecting it to have no EMI radiation is
trying to defeat the laws of physics , however, the SMPS switching
frequency harmonics are very low and in no way effects the transmitted
spectral purity.

4. The ANAN-10 PA has a bank of seven LPFs covering 160M through 6M,
Hermes when used with the 10W ANAN PA meets and exeeds FCC requirements.

The user is seeing spurii a few hundred Khz above and below the
fundamental, these are possibly generated by the Hermes card, he should
in fact update the board firmware and reset the PowerSDR Mrx database to
see if that resolves the issue if not the Hermes board he is using may
require service, The spurii he is seeing are definitely not generated by
the PA.

-----------------------------------end of comments from

I've always found Abhi and Apache to be the "Best of the Best" when it
comes to solving problems, answering questions, etc.  My experience here
has always been that he goes beyond what would be expected even from the
"Best of the Best" when potential issues or questions arise.

I am following this thread with interest, as I have several TAPR Hermes
cards.  But I still call them Hermes cards, even though I have housed
them in Apache ANAN-10 boxes :)

73,

Roger W3SZ