[hpsdr] Ozy/Magister will likely stop working on Win10 in about 60 days

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Aug 20 08:20:38 PDT 2016

Scott,
This may or may not work on Windows 10.  Certainly I am ONLY talking about Windows 10 Build 1607 and later.  It is not reasonable to expect a Ham to take a boot-time choice each time they (re)boot their computers.  I'm speaking about generally booting a computer.  I suggest that you review the article and other related information and make your own conclusion.

What happens for debugging a driver under development is not relevant to what happens when you use a driver as a normal computer user.  I'm telling you that MANY drivers from the past will stop working on Windows 10 at Day 60 (or is it 90) after the release of Windows 10 Anniversary (build 1607), which occurred on August 2, 2016.  One of those affected is the Ozy/Magister 'libusb0' USB driver.

And it is a separate issue if you have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS of a modern computer.  YMMV.  Read, be informed, and draw your own conclusions that are relevant to how you use drivers.

I had not seen a warning about this published on this list.  This will affect many pieces of HAM hardware, not just USB devices.  It could affect printers, things like MicroHam 'digikeyer' products and the like, and other pieces of hardware.

73,
George K9TRV