[hpsdr] Ozy/Magister will likely stop working on Win10 in about 60 days

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Wed Aug 31 13:55:05 PDT 2016

Dear Jeff,
I've asked for a show of hands, and so far, other than me (I have 2 Ozies
but don't really use them, except for testing KISS Konsole on occasion),
I've heard from 4 other people who admit to using an Ozy or Magister.  And
that they would be willing to put up a little dosh to help fund the
certificate needed.

Now things aren't totally dire.  For example, if you are not running Windows
10 on your 'ham computer', and have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10
there, you will not have a problem.  If your computer running Windows 10 is
an older computer, and does NOT have 'secure boot' as a BIOS feature, or it
is disabled, we think that you likely won't have a problem.

I understand the price of a Metis board, as I own two.

Frankly, unless some totally generous person comes forward with a major
donation (you could send it to TAPR as a donation, earmarked for the Code
Signing EV certificate, and if a US taxpayer, get a deduction for donating
to a 501(c)3 organization), it would be hard to justify anyone spending the
money to sign the Ozy drivers anew and get them countersigned by Microsoft,
so they 'just work'.  We would keep the current drivers for people on Vista,
7, 8, and 8.1 versions of Windows, because they might not accept the new way
of signing (sigh...)

Alternatively, someone with access to a Code Signing EV cert at work could
work with us to sign the driver package, and submit to Microsoft to get the
driver signed.  Total cost to anyone: $0.  But we don't know who that person
is at this time!

Jeff, send me your callsign privately by separate email.  I'm trying to keep
a list myself of interested parties.

73,
George K9TRV