[hpsdr] Ozy/Magister will likely stop working on Win10 in about 60 days

Jeffrie Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Wed Aug 31 13:32:13 PDT 2016

Hello George,

I've left my reply on this topic somewhat late, as I was hoping there may
have been an answer by now, but not so.  I'm still using the original HPSDR
kit that first came out in dribs and drabs all those years ago; for my wants
in amateur radio I've found that it fits the bill perfectly.  My first
delvings into software defined radio were with a SoftRock receiver kit which
I found fascinating, and when you guys came up with the real McCoy (and I
think you were the first to do so) I was with you from the start.  Times of
course move on, but it's sad that my radio will simply stop working in a few
week's time.  I'm in my 70th year and am just about financially okay, but I
do have to justify to myself any expense that I indulge in, and when it
comes to amateur radio it is an indulgence.  I've looked at the cost of a
Metis board, and by the time you add VAT and the post offices charge for
levying VAT on the government's behalf (I'm in England) and of course
carriage charges, the cost will most likely be something in excess of $400.
Now if I have no alternative but to pay $400 then I guess I will do so, but
it will hurt.  The lesser cost would be a contribution to a fully signed
driver.  Would it be possible for you George to ask for a hands up from
those that are still using Ozymandias, and a hands up as to whether they
would be prepared to contribute to the cost of a signed driver.

I realise fully that this is not your fault or indeed the fault of anyone
else involved in the development of HPSDR, but to just let Ozymandias fall
into uselessness seems a little hard-hearted.

Jeff cook.