[hpsdr] Mini-circuit parts

Glen glenk4kv at mds-ham.com
Mon Feb 22 11:30:48 PST 2016

Hello,

My problem with my two Hermes appears to be the wrong step-attenuator
chip was sent to me.

My chips are marked MCL DS50, which the data sheets says is a 6-bit part.

The original chip specified is the DS-31-SP+ which shows it is a 5-bit part.

I am assuming there is no way this will work correctly.  My tests here have
verified that both my Hermes work the same, and they both work wrong!

At 32db of attenuation, it appears the attenuator chip is turned off, and I
see
a 20db or more boost in signal to noise ratio.

At 0db setting, it seems as if I am getting around 20db of actual
attenuation.  Other
settings are all over the place with a fixed signal generator input.

Does anyone know where I can get a couple DAT-31-SP+ chips?

The fellow I bought them from must have just substituted the DS50 where it
does not
appear to work correctly...

73's

Glen K4KV