[hpsdr] Signal level discrepancy RA Utility / Multimeter

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Wed Feb 10 09:45:36 PST 2016

Hi Wolfgang,

The S-meter reads the correct peak signal level (dBm) when in "Signal"
mode and the correct average/rms SIGNAL level when in "Sig Avg" mode.
There is an error, that I will try to remember to correct in the next
release, when reading the average/rms NOISE in the "Sig Avg" mode.  At
present, due to the way the computation is done, the meter will report
random noise 2.51 dBm lower than actual value although it reports signal
levels correctly.  To get the ultimate accuracy, I'd suggest doing a
Level Calibration as found on the Setup => General/Calibration tab;
however, I my experience has been that the default calibration is quite
good.

The method wdsp.CalculateRXMeter is found in the file dsp.cs and it in
turn calls the DSP (WDSP) to get a meter value.  A calibration factor
then needs to be added to that value before display.  In this case, the
FLEX manual is correct about what the S-meter reports. However, please
be aware that our DSP code is 100% different than FLEX as are many other
parts of the code; so, in many cases the FLEX manual will not be correct.

73,
Warren  NR0V