[hpsdr] 16-bit DUC/DDC transceiver ODYSSEY

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Fri Jan 29 14:06:08 PST 2016

I'm interested in the Odyssey, and any other potential SDR out there.  It doesn't have to be full "high performance", just like not every more traditional HF rig must be from Elecraft or Flex(?).

But, look again at the Red Pitaya.  Anyone who thinks it is just a test instrument is also showing personal bias.  The RP is supported with many SDR programs now.  PowerSDR, GNU Radio, HDSDR, SDR#, and other SDR software all have drivers for the RP.  Hams are building and using rigs based on the Red Pitaya.  Check out both the Red Pitaya forum, as well as the SDR-NET Google group.

No, it' not an Anan, but it's better than an AFEDRI.  How do I know this?  The front end of the AFEDRI is basically a copy of the AMRAD "Charleston SDR" receiver, originally developed by Dr. John Schwacke here in Charleston, SC, and which I provided some support and testing.  I then got AMRAD involved, and they replicated it, I believe well before the AFEDRI came out - by a year or more.  The AFEDRI uses a single channel 12-bit ADC, that samples at under 77MHz.  No DACs.  Most of the DDC is implemented in the AFEDRI chip itself, therefore less alterable.

The RP has two 14-bit ADC channels (with separate inputs) and and two 14-bit DAC channels (with separate outputs), and a 125MS/s rate.  While there is already a preamp on each input channel, the board's inputs are 1M ohm, requiring some external matching and probably preamps.  The other biggest issue is that it uses a Xilinx PSOC, not an Altera part, which most amateurs have gravitated to - rooted in the original use of a Xylo board I believe.

In a time when eight-bit dongles are pushed in major QST articles, ANY SDR better than them should not be looked down on - in my humble opinion.  The more the merrier.
73, Terry, N4TLF (formally WB4JFI)

Sent from tfox iPad