[hpsdr] USB vs Ethernet

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Jan 30 05:24:19 PST 2016

Dear Luke,
So if your Magister card is working, as long as your system does not change, it should
continue to work the same.  Changing the base platform (computer board) or OS could
introduce a USB driver stack that is less performant, causing drop-outs either on receive
or transmit.  Some of these can be mitigated by playing around with buffer sizes and the
like, as mentioned on other emails on this forum.  The issue with CW break-in in PowerSDR
seems to be something that has been noted on this forum, I think.  It could have come in a
recent version due to code changes or firmware changes, possibly due to changes in
methodology to do CW.  Joe would have to speak to that.

Metis would offer the ability to move more data, for sure.  That might allow for more
timely (better) CW break-in operation.  But I'm not a CW guy, so I'm going on what I seem
to remember, which could be wrong (YMMV).

We are quite sure that the Ethernet stack is indeed more performant (less latency, able to
move lots of data better) than USB.  USB3 may make things better, but Ozy/Magister are USB
2 devices, so that won't help.  Also, not all USB3 ports/hubs are well implemented.

73,
George K9TRV