[hpsdr] COM Spliters

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:30:15 PDT 2016

Mike,

I believe I know what you want, and I think I know where you are going
wrong. You are making things FAR more complex than they need to be.

I'm not familiar with log4om, but I took a quick look at the manual just
now. I believe it is the beautiful drawing of a VPSE com port splitter on
page 179 that is throwing you off.

In your case you do not need to use a splitter. And, as luck would have it,
you can have your cake and eat it, too!

For CAT control:

In PSDR, assign CAT1 to one end of the COM port pair that connects to
log4om Hamlib.
In PSDR, assign CAT2 to one end of the COM port pair that connects to
Fldigi.
In PSDR, assign CAT3 to one end of the COM port pair that connects to
WSJT-X.

For logging:

In log4om, make the appropriate TCP connection to JT-Alert/WSJT-X as shown
on page 182.
In log4om, make the appropriate TCP connection to Fldigi as shown on page
187.

That should do it, you can run ALL THREE programs at the same time, and no
splitter required! And you still have PSDR CAT4 if you need it.

For virtual COM ports you can use com0com, VSPM, or VSPE. I am 1000% with
the log4om developer's recommendation for VSPE. Yes, it costs a tiny bit of
money for the 64 bit version, but VSPE has proven, at least for me, to be
the easiest to use and most stable and reliable. And VSPE includes splitter
functionality if you ever need it. I actually use a VSPE splitter to allow
both DDUtil and the Elecraft KPA500 remote utility to both access and
control my KPA500 at the same time and it works quite well.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o