[hpsdr] CW sidetone through speakers on PC instead of Headphone on ANAN SDR

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:55:47 PDT 2016

There is currently no way to do this in PowerSDR mRX. The CW sidetone
function resides in the FPGA in order to reduce its latency to an
acceptable value. So for those who attach a key and a speaker directly to
the radio things work well.

For those who wish to attach a key and a speaker to their computer, they
run into this problem. While the latency for a computer attached key or
paddle is not bad, the lack of sidetone certainly does make it difficult to
operate. The one work around that I'm aware of is to use a regular
electronic keyer with built-in sidetone and attach that to the PowerSDR mRX
keyer input. I would love to see a sidetone feature be added. If the
sidetone was generated locally in PowerSDR mRX I don't believe the latency
would be unacceptable.

By the way, if you are unfamiliar with the keyer input on PowerSDR mRX, it
can be found in Setup > DSP > CW "Connections". The key, paddle or keyer
can be attached to a COM port. The DSR and CTS inputs on the COM port are
used to assert dit's and dah's.

73!

Scott/w-u-2-o