[hpsdr] Computing power requirements

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Mon May 30 07:29:10 PDT 2016

All:

With some help from several of you and some experimentation, I have
learned a few things.

The Intel Atom that /almost /worked had a Windows Experience Index of 1.7.

The laptop which had no chance has a Windows Experience Index of 1.0.

On a lark, I installed OpenHPSDRmRX (3.3.7) on this machine, and 3GHz
dual core with 8GB of Ram.  Windows experience index of 4.4

Works like a chance, with all the noise reduction in etc. (Haven't yet
figured out how to use 2 receivers)  Doesn't seem to be bothered by web
browsing ,  email, and other simultaneous uses.

Not that I'd use this machine for the long term, but I know what works.

Looking at a 4 GHz quad core for the dedicated SDR machine.

Thanks for all the help!
73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org

On 5/28/2016 9:28 PM, Jim Sanford wrote:

> All:
>
> I built an intel Atom, which worked, but wasn't quite fast enough to
> run PowerSDRmRX without dropouts.
>
> I just tried a stripped-down laptop -- no chance.
>
> SO, I'm going to spec out something new, preferably in a small form
> factor like the Atom box.
> Seeking suggestions in minimum required CPU speed and number of cores,
> memory size, etc.  This will be dedicated to HPSDR, so won't need a
> huge SSDD.
>
> Will be running Winders7, so also wondering if it matters 64-bit
> versus 32-bit.  Unclear to me whether PowerSDRmRX knows the
> difference, and whether or not it cares about the number of cores.
>
> Thanks & 73,
> Jim
> wb4gcs at amsat.org
>

> ---