[hpsdr] Computing power requirements

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sat May 28 19:05:37 PDT 2016

Jim,

I'll comment on a few things:

* Yes, PowerSDRmRX is multi-threaded and so it does use multiple cores.
HOWEVER, the loading on all the threads is far from equal and clock rate
is also quite important.

* Right now the application as released is 32-bit.  However, thinking
ahead, I would recommend a 64-bit system.

* As we introduce new and more advanced features, using those generally
requires more CPU power.  One characteristic of SDRs that is perhaps not
broadly understood is latency --- for example the time between when RF
hits your antenna and receive audio hits your ears.  A release, not too
far in the future, will allow you to dramatically reduce the latency on
your radio from its current levels.  HOWEVER, that will come at the
price of using some additional CPU cycles.  So, not that you have to
have the very fastest and hottest CPU; however, I'd encourage you to
build-in some headroom for future advancements.

73,

Warren  NR0V